[SIGCIS-Members] History of Rome. How did they calculate?

Cliff Jones cliff.jones at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 22:57:36 PST 2019

Over many years, I asked several people about this but never got a satisfactory answer. My puzzlement comes from the fact that *modern* Latin writes/pronounces numbers in essentially decimal/positional ways. I think it was Tony Hoare (who read “Greats” at Oxford) who wondered whether the “normal” Roman numerals used a lot of straight lines because they were carved into stone!?

I’d be very interested if you get a solid explanation of how calculations were done

cliff jones