[SIGCIS-Members] 2019 highlights from the Charles Babbage Institute

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 18 16:00:42 PST 2019

 Dear Friends,

These are exciting times at the Charles Babbage Institute (CBI), and we would like to share with you a few highlights from 2019:
	- The completion of multi-institutional project—a documentary on the history of computing in Minnesota.
http://click.ecommunications2.umn.edu/?qs=6a3081b0585aabc36245e2644759533a7e6643a25060eb88146696870a31026c29f090b7604a3527c59677a8bcfa0b00303e0e1d40d0acb6
Watch Solid State documentary .
	- CBI and the University Libraries launched the annual Samek Lecture in Information Science and Culture, with an inaugural lecture by leading IT scholar Bill Aspray.
	- The addition of Colorado’s Bill Aspray, and MIT’s Jennifer Light, as CBI Senior Research Fellows, as well as HSTM’s hiring of Assistant Professor Honghong Tinn, who also serves as an affiliated historian at CBI.
	- Archivist Amanda Wick and I co-led a highly successful Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group (SIG) Heritage/History Workshop, educating computer scientists from around the world interested in archiving and oral history. We expect that 2020 will be another exceptional year. On May 8-9, I will be partnering with standout past CBI Tomash Fellow UC-Davis’ Gerardo Con Diaz on CBI’s upcoming symposium “Just Code: Power, Inequality, and the Global Political Economy of IT,” at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.
http://click.ecommunications2.umn.edu/?qs=6a3081b0585aabc38557e0d151aaf0712e3358356ff162c3ce5e9b36577901ee15ff699034e47016d9662112b34ff1e0802400cc4337e184
Register for the "Just Code" symposium .

Accomplishments and events such as these would not be possible without your support. Our donors make what CBI does possible—research, unparalleled assistance to students and scholars globally, public history, CBI symposia, oral history, publishing, editorial leadership, and continually adding to our world leading CBI Archives.

The opportunities are incredible, the need is pressing, and the impact, in true entrepreneurial fashion, is exponential! Thank you in advance for your generosity and happy holidays to all!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeffrey R. Yost, Ph.D.

CBI Director and Research Professor

History of Science, Technology, and Medicine

P.S. Your gift today will help us create an even brighter tomorrow for IT history/IT studies.

http://click.ecommunications2.umn.edu/?qs=6a3081b0585aabc39ac632d699185deb3eefce15b47c80770695b54f79e6544a4090a68bf514edfec23925f8b864bb45e5c51987c4fab6b1
Support CBI
CBI is a partnership of the History of Science, Technology, Medicine Program in the University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering and the University Libraries.

This email was sent by: College of Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota,

105 Walter Library, 117 Pleasant Street SE,

Minneapolis,

MN,

55455,

USA.

http://click.ecommunications2.umn.edu/?qs=6a3081b0585aabc36d181e3383c7411c353ea147d3966efee0c0effdf91c43f78acc95e56d38811f651760c6b8af434ef557bace1b8ccce3
unsubscribe  MEMBERS at SIGCIS.ORG  from this mailing list

http://click.ecommunications2.umn.edu/?qs=6a3081b0585aabc3c4ae3b8f8105c775b49113692ea4941b3ac93c27a5beba9b2c592233a58fa4c4b1630e6b8428e499b171337b12a0e90f
read our email privacy statement