[SIGCIS-Members] new book on history of computing at NSF

Armando Fox fox at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 9 21:46:48 PST 2019

yes, academic publishing, indeed.

as an alternative, in case anyone wants to avail themselves of this resource....several years ago a colleague and i wrote a textbook <http://saasbook.info/> and after much deliberation decided to self-publish rather than work with an academic or professional-press publisher.  result: we own the content; print book is under $30 (~500 pp); kindle edition is $9.99.  lots of copies sold and good response.  and because we own it, we're free to gift PDFs or whatever to students who truly can't afford it, to make our own arrangements for translations, to allow repackaging the book in other ways, etc.

we wrote about <https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxsb25nbGFzdGluZ3NvZnR3YXJlfGd4OjdjYmU3ZTI2MTc4NjI0NGU> our experience doing this (pros and cons) for other academic colleagues, and open-sourced the toolchain <http://github.com/armandofox/latex2ebook> that does most of the work of converting a single set of LaTeX files into both a handsome PDF suitable for printing-on-demand and a Kindle edition.   tl;dr if you are reasonably skilled with LaTeX then you can do what we did.

fight the power!

Armando Fox (pronouns: he, him; él)
Professor, Computer Science Division
Faculty Advisor, Digital Learning Strategy & MOOCLab
UC Berkeley Campus Equity Advisor
581 Soda Hall MC#1776, Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
+1.510.642.6820 / http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~fox <http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~fox>

Learn to build software free at saas-class.org