[SIGCIS-Members] EFF Pioneer in our midst

M. Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Thu Oct 25 18:50:18 PDT 2018

Hi all,

For those of you who may not already know, one of our own, Sarah Roberts, was awarded a 2018 Pioneer Award from the Electronic Freedom Foundation in recognition of her groundbreaking work on commercial content moderation (she actually coined the term). This is a really big deal--in the past the EFF Pioneer award has gone to other luminaries who have "made significant contributions to the empowerment of individuals in using computers" like Tim Berners-Lee, Anita Borg, and Starr Roxane Hiltz.

If you want to know more about Sarah's groundbreaking work, her book is now available for pre-order--due out in the Spring I believe!
Behind the Screen: Content Moderation in the Shadows of Social Media https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300235887/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_77M0BbRF0126V

Best,

Mar

Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL USA
mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net | @histoftech
Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost Its Edge in Computing
www.programmedinequality.com