[SIGCIS-Members] MINITEL ALL exhibition opening Nov 6 in NYC

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:38:38 PDT 2018

Dear SIGCIS,

We are happy to announce MINITEL ALL, an exhibition of Minitel memorabilia
at the Ace Hotel in New York City. MINITEL ALL presents the material
culture of the pioneering online system including collectible pins,
postcards, stickers, books, and consumer electronics.

MINITEL ALL will be on display in the Ace Hotel Gallery Annex from November
6 to December 16. The exhibition is free and open to the public.

Please join us Tuesday, November 6 from 6-8 PM for an opening reception
party. We will have working terminals on view.

In addition, from December 10-14, two refurbished terminals will be
installed in the hotel lobby and connected to 3615 SM, a legendary online
community (or, "messagerie") from the halcyon days of Minitel. Visitors to
the hotel will be invited to log on for a throwback Minitel experience,
including chatting and gaming.

For more details about the exhibition, see the Ace Hotel announcement:
http://www.acehotel.com/calendar/newyork/minitel-all

For immediate access to the collection from which the exhibition was drawn,
see the Minitel Research Lab digital archive:
http://minitel.us

And for free Minitel stickers, visit the MIT Press table at SHOT 2018 and
ask about our recent book, "Minitel: Welcome to the Internet":
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/minitel

Sincerely,

Julien Mailland and Kevin Driscoll