[SIGCIS-Members] What happened on the list last year

Paul N. Edwards pedwards at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 28 12:38:09 PST 2018

Dear Joy,

What an utterly appalling story, even worse than what we saw unfold on SIGCIS last spring. I’m so sorry you had to endure all this.

I hope your clear, understated, and carefully described report of what happened to you will result in some measure of redress, though it seems you think that unlikely.

Even if it fails to have the effect it should have on MSU — already reeling from multiple similar stories — perhaps it will serve as a cautionary tale to others.

To people on the list, may I recommend that you forward Joy’s article to administrative officers at your own institution as an example of what to watch out for in our current, sad state of online discourse.

Best,

Paul Edwards