[SIGCIS-Members] Cray 1 serial number 0 being put together on Facebook Live at SC 2018

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Fri Nov 16 14:25:12 PST 2018

This is fascinating to read. When I was at supercomputing startup SiCortex in the mid-2000s, we took several steps to make the system hardware reliable for locations like Los Alamos, in what seemed at the time to be based mostly on industry folklore about the effects. In large-scale systems, it’s difficult to nail down what actually caused a failure, especially one that is relatively rare but still can have a big effect on a computation.

Win Treese
treese at acm.org