[SIGCIS-Members] Book announcement

Ben Peters bjpeters at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 11:20:33 PST 2018

Congratulations, Joy! How very exciting. I'm enjoying my copy and looking
forward to many more conversations!

Ben

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:45 PM M. Hicks <mhicks1 at iit.edu> wrote:

> So excited to read this--I already have my copy. Congratulations on the
> publication of this exciting and timely volume, Joy!
>
> Best,
>
> Mar
>
> ______________________
> Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, History of Technology
> Illinois Institute of Technology
> Chicago, IL USA
> mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net <http://www.mariehicks.net/> |
> @histoftech <http://twitter.com/histoftech>
> *Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost
> Its Edge in Computing*
> www.programmedinequality.com
>
> On Nov 14, 2018, at 12:26 PM, Sweeney, Miriam <mesweeney1 at ua.edu> wrote:
>
> Congratulations, Joy! What a wonderful contribution to the field!
>
> Sincerely,
> Miriam
>
> Miriam E. Sweeney
>
> Assistant Professor , School of Library and Information Studies
>
> The University of Alabama <https://www.ua.edu>
> 527 Gorgas
> Box 870252
> Tuscaloosa , AL
> office 205-348-1522
> mesweeney1 at ua.edu | https://slis.ua.edu/
>

> On Nov 14, 2018, at 11:18 AM, drjoy <drjoy at joyrankin.com> wrote:
>
> Dear SIGCIS Colleagues,
>
> I wrote a book!
>
> *A People's History of Computing in the United States* was published by Harvard
> University Press
> <http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674970977> last month.
> It's now available as a hardcover, e-book, and audiobook (also accessible
> via your Audible subscription) on Amazon
> <https://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-Computing-United-States/dp/0674970977/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542215629&sr=8-1&keywords=a+peoples+history+of+computing+in+the+united+states> and
> elsewhere. (Today it's just $20.04 on Amazon.) I hope you'll read it,
> assign it, and share it.
>
> Here's my one-sentence summary: During the 1960s and 1970s American
> students and educators collaboratively created personal computing and
> social networking on the academic computing networks they built and used;
> although developed with a vision of computing for the public good, those
> networks also retrenched the limited gender roles of the Cold War nuclear
> family.
>
> Thank you for making the space for me to share, revise, and improve this
> work starting when I was a graduate student. I've greatly appreciated the
> support of the SIGCIS community, especially over the past year or so.
>
> Sincerely,
> Joy
>

> Dr. Joy Lisi Rankin
> www.joyrankin.com
> @JoyMLRankin

Benjamin Peters

Associate Professor, Media Studies, the University of Tulsa
Affiliated Fellow, the Information Society Project, Yale Law School
Recent books on the (2018 Computer History Museum & 2017 Vucinich
Prizes) Soviet
Internet
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Network-Nation-Information/dp/0262034182/>
 and Digital Keywords <http://amzn.to/1ToHD4v>