[SIGCIS-Members] Book announcement

drjoy drjoy at joyrankin.com
Wed Nov 14 09:18:57 PST 2018

Dear SIGCIS Colleagues,

I wrote a book!

*A People's History of Computing in the United States* was published by
Harvard University Press[1] last month. It's now available as a
hardcover, e-book, and audiobook (also accessible via your Audible
subscription) on Amazon[2] and elsewhere. (Today it's just $20.04 on
Amazon.) I hope you'll read it, assign it, and share it.
Here's my one-sentence summary: During the 1960s and 1970s American
students and educators collaboratively created personal computing and
social networking on the academic computing networks they built and
used; although developed with a vision of computing for the public good,
those networks also retrenched the limited gender roles of the Cold War
nuclear family.
Thank you for making the space for me to share, revise, and improve
this work starting when I was a graduate student. I've greatly
appreciated the support of the SIGCIS community, especially over the
past year or so.
Sincerely,
Joy

Dr. Joy Lisi Rankin