[SIGCIS-Members] Cray 1 serial number 0 being put together on Facebook Live at SC 2018

Channell, David channell at utdallas.edu
Tue Nov 13 08:03:49 PST 2018

Sorry that was a typo.  It says 1980.

David F. Channell
Professor of Historical Studies
School of Arts and Humanities/Jo. 3.1
The University of Texas at Dallas
800 W. Campbell Rd.
Richardson, TX 75080-3021

ph. 972 883 2007
fax 972 883 2989
e-mail: channell at utdallas.edu<mailto:channell at utdallas.edu>

________________________________
From: Brian Berg <brianberg at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:01:28 AM
To: Channell, David
Cc: ggrider at lanl.gov; Ceruzzi, Paul; CyndeM at livingcomputers.org; ianmacconnellsc at gmail.com; SIGCIS Listserver
Subject: Re: [SIGCIS-Members] Cray 1 serial number 0 being put together on Facebook Live at SC 2018

That 1960 date is obviously not correct - it should presumably be 1976.  Wikipedia says "The Cray-1 was a supercomputer designed, manufactured and marketed by Cray Research. Announced in 1975, the first Cray-1 system was installed at Los Alamos National Laboratory in 1976. Eventually, over 100 Cray-1's were sold, making it one of the most successful supercomputers in history."
_________________________
Brian A. Berg / bberg at StanfordAlumni.org<mailto:bberg at StanfordAlumni.org>
Berg Software Design
14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F, Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
Voice: 408.741.5010 / Cell: 408.568.2505
Consulting: Flash Memory/USB/Storage/Patents
visit the Storage Cornucopia: www.bswd.com<http://www.bswd.com>
FMS Technical Chair: www.FlashMemorySummit.com<http://www.FlashMemorySummit.com>
IEEE Milestone<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:List_of_IEEE_Milestones> Coordinator for Region 6<http://www.ieee-region6.org/>
IEEE SCV Section<http://www.ieee.org/scv/> Past Chair / IEEE-CNSV<http://www.CaliforniaConsultants.org> Board Director