[SIGCIS-Members] The Turing-Welchman Bombe at Bletchley Park

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 07:59:18 PST 2018

Hi:

"The National Museum of Computing needs £50,000 to keep the Bombe on the Bletchley Park Estate.

The Bombe is a working reconstruction of the Turing-Welchman machine that helped break enemy Enigma messages in the Second World War.

The reconstruction will be located near to the world-famous working rebuild of Colossus, the 1944 computer that sped up the breaking of Lorenz messages of the German High Command.

Together, the original machines changed the course of history. They are credited with shortening the war by up to two years and saved countless lives. They also paved the way for our digital world.

Sitting close together in Block H, hailed as one of England’s top 100 ‘irreplaceable places’, they will bring to life the incredible wartime code-breaking story and pay homage to the amazing achievements of the Bletchley Park code-breakers."

I have no involvement with this project myself - other than as one of the over 200 people who have already supported it.

Cheers

Brian Randell
—

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk<mailto:Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk>   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html