[SIGCIS-Members] Copyright advice sought

Kimon Keramidas kimon.keramidas at nyu.edu
Fri Jul 13 06:49:54 PDT 2018

This is a great take on this and the CAA framework is a good one that was the end result of five years of study by IP lawyers so is bona fide.

Just a point of clarification, fair use is not a right like copyright is as it is not explicitly stated as such in law. Rather it is an exception to copyright that has been provided by judicial precedent and has been roughly outlined in copyright law but is purposefully not clearly bound. This difference is just important to know as you move forward with concerns such as this and are dealing with legal situations and specific terminology.

It’s kind of like driving. No one has the right to drive. The government provides the opportunity to get a driver’s license and it can be taken away. Fair use tenets can be violated as such if they are determined to be overstepped by a judge and one can then be in violation of copyright. Copyright however is automatically given to the creator upon recording of an expression in a material form and is a right that cannot be taken away.

Cheers
Kimon

Kimon Keramidas, Ph.D.
Clinical Associate Professor
The Center for Experimental Humanities

New York University
14 University Place
New York, NY 10003

P 212-998-3691
T @kimonizer
W http://kimonkeramidas.com

The Interface Experience: Forty Years of Personal Computing
Exhibition

The Interface Experience: A User’s Guide
Winner of the 2016 Innovation in Print Design Award from the American Alliance of Museums
Buy Book