[SIGCIS-Members] history of history of computing courses

Paul N. Edwards pedwards at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 29 17:11:52 PST 2018

My early course lectures also drew heavily on the Williams book, and on articles from the Annals of the History of Computing.

In the first couple of years I used Stan Augarten’s nicely illustrated large-format book Bit by Bit as a textbook. It’s journalistic history, with flaws and misunderstandings, but accessible for undergrads.

The Campbell-Kelly/Aspray/Yost/Ensmenger text has been immensely valuable. I’ve been using that as the main textbook for the last 15 years  now.

Best,

Paul