[SIGCIS-Members] Invention of the concept of process

Grider, Gary Alan ggrider at lanl.gov
Sat Dec 29 19:58:51 PST 2018

Hasn’t there been great debate about when the first "stored program" was accomplished?  Some said on Maniac by Metropolis but others disagree I think.
If that is what you are looking for I am pretty sure it was well before CTSS or Multics.  I think CTSS and Multics were in pursuit of time sharing (or multiple stored programs).
I think the first implementation of process pipes might have been Demos but that was way after CTSS days.

Gary

On 12/29/18, 8:37 PM, "Members on behalf of Laurent Bloch" <members-bounces at lists.sigcis.org on behalf of lb at laurentbloch.org> wrote:

    Le samedi 29 décembre 2018 McMillan, William W a écrit ceci :

    > "..., my question was about computer processes, i.e. programs in execution ..."
    >
    > Laurent, do you mean process in the sense of a computer program loaded (at least partially) into primary memory, described by a process control block, and managed by an operating system?

    Yes, it is precisely the kind of entity I am asking about. I would say it appears with CTSS or Multics, but I am not sure. Once I read the name of the creator of the concept, but I did not write it down and I forgot, hence my question.

    Laurent Bloch - https://laurentbloch.net - lb at laurentbloch.org