[SIGCIS-Members] Call for Invited Speakers - Data Then and Now - University of Washington Seattle

Megan Finn megfinn at uw.edu
Fri Dec 7 14:00:07 PST 2018

https://escience.washington.edu/data-then-and-now-call-for-invited-speakers/

application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfX0aHky9k3yp3Jv-aXEwHTWb9EY4fPoGQD57QcCNdTOgvyGQ/viewform

From: David Ribes <dribes at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:12 AM

Call for Invited Speakers - Data Then and Now - University  of Washington Seattle

We  are soliciting applications for guest speakers for a new invited lecture series at the University of Washington that resides at the intersection of data science and STS.

We  know there is a lot of great and relevant scholarship from Science and Technology Studies out there that might not have crossed our desks yet, so we are doing things a little differently when it comes to selecting speakers for this invited seminar series:  At least half of our speakers will be selected from a pool of applicants who respond to this call.

We  are looking to fill spots for the remainder of this academic year (February - June, 2018). If you are interested in being one of our speakers, please read and complete this application  (available dates are listed therein). Consideration  of applications will begin immediately and will continue until all spots are filled.

The  title and theme of the seminar series is 'Data, Then and Now' -- a title intended to evoke a sense of historicism about what was data (whether 1540, 1980, or 2017), along with the emerging present of data (whether 1540, 1980, or 2017). Talks need not be straight  histories of data technologies or practices, but the point of the series overall is to draw out the antecedents and continuities of our current data-centric moment. For this speaker series we are looking for STS scholars (broadly construed, but not too broadly),  who will share their research on related topics. For an example, see our  inaugural  lecture delivered by Nicole  Nelson.

Talks  should be “tuned” for a highly diverse audience in terms of disciplinary background, as we expect a mix of STS scholars and researchers who practice data intensive computational methods. We encourage scholarship  that engages technical issues but does so in a "human readable" manner. We welcome examinations of political topics (of whatever flavor), but done in a politic manner. We are excited by theory, but more so if done via grounded empirical investigations. We welcome applications from  senior faculty, junior faculty, postdocs, as well as visiting or research professors.

The  speaker series is a collaboration between the eScience  Institute, the Department  of Human Centered Design and Engineering,  and the Science,  Technology and Society Studies  program at the University of Washington.

Hotel,  travel, and group dinner expenses will be covered. Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot support visa applications, and can only pay for travel from North America. Scholars from other regions are welcome to apply if they will be in North America for some  other reason and would be willing to tack on a trip to Seattle.

We  look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Data  Then and Now Organizers
David  Ribes, Human-Centered Design and Engineering (HCDE)
Anissa  Tanweer, eScience Institute
University  of Washington