[SIGCIS-Members] Literature on the place of science fiction (and its fandom) in the history of technology

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 10:04:13 PDT 2018

Hi David

The Unsettling Scientific Stories project in the UK, which deals with
imagined futures largely through history-of-science and
science-and-literature approaches, held a conference I attended recently
where about a third of the presentations dealt with these themes at some
level:

http://unsettlingscientificstories.co.uk/imagined-futures

Unfortunately the book of abstracts doesn't seem to be available, but
the titles give a useful indication of people who are currently writing
on relevant questions. See in particular the whole session chaired by
Stephen Cave: this was put together by members of the Leverhulme Centre
for the Future of Intelligence (lcfi.ac.uk), which is largely focused on
policy but has brought together quite a few people interested in SF and
other literary roots in contemporary AI research.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
James