[SIGCIS-Members] Origins of "archive" in computer science

Brian Berg brianberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:53:13 PDT 2018

DIALOG is still being used today (as ProQuest Dialog
<https://www.proquest.com/products-services/ProQuest-Dialog.html>) - and it
thus has been in continual use since 1966.  I documented it here
<http://ieeemilestones.ethw.org/Milestone-Proposal:The_DIALOG_Online_Search_System,_1966-1970>
with an application for an IEEE Milestone which is due to be considered by
the IEEE History Committee this October.  I worked with Roger Summit, whose
PhD thesis was the genesis of this system.

I can ask him about the word "archive."
_________________________
Brian A. Berg / bberg at StanfordAlumni.org
Berg Software Design
14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F, Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
Voice: 408.741.5010 / Cell: 408.568.2505
Consulting: Flash Memory/USB/Storage/Patents
visit the Storage Cornucopia: www.bswd.com
FMS Technical Chair: www.FlashMemorySummit.com
IEEE Milestone
<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:List_of_IEEE_Milestones>
Coordinator for Region 6 <http://www.ieee-region6.org/>
IEEE SCV Section <http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/> Past Chair / IEEE-CNSV
<http://www.CaliforniaConsultants.org> Board Director
IEEE Silicon Valley Tech History Committee
<http://www.SiliconValleyHistory.com/> Chair