[SIGCIS-Members] Some suggestions on the early history of the ethics of AI

Alberts, Gerard g.alberts at uva.nl
Mon Apr 23 00:55:13 PDT 2018

Dear Deborah,
The crucial book is Hubert L. Dreyfus, What computers still can't do. A critique of artificial reason (MIT, 1972. 1992). The original What computers can't do, is basically a philosophical argumentation. The revised edition has an ample introduction offering a most readible historical view of the debate as it evolved.
AI from its very inception in the 1950s has been accompanied with debates. These debates may have been different in Europe from the US; just like the automation debate in the 1950s was predominantly a socio-economic debate in the US, and when it landed in Europe it had turned into a cultural debate.
Our colleague Dick van Lente (University of Rotterdam) published on these issues.

I do read Dreyfus with graduate students. For undergraduates I find J. David Bolter, Turing's man (from 1984!) still very readible. To students in CS or AI it will always serve as an eye-opener to the worldviews implicit in their discipline - which to me is the key element of an ethical reflection course.
Kind regards,
Gerard Alberts, University of Amsterdam