[SIGCIS-Members] History of Dark Web?

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:32:54 PDT 2018

Not suggesting this is the origin of the term in popular parlance, but the
net art writer Alan Sondheim has been using the term darknet since the
1990s.  He had in mind command-line clients and shells, as opposed to the
graphical browsers then taking over.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 6:23 PM Marc Weber <marc at webhistory.org> wrote:

> I’m happy to introduce the journalist to a couple of the security/crypto
> pioneers who are advisors to the Internet History Program; these are the
> folks I’d go to for more detail.
> There’s also the author of *The Dark Net*, Jamie Bartlett, which is a
> really nice book though I honestly don’t remember how extensive his early
> history section was.
> Best,
> Marc
>
> On Apr 9, 2018, at 14:20, Janet Abbate <abbate at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> I got a query from a journalist about the origins of the Dark Web. I don’t
> really know what was going on before Sealand and Tor in the early 2000s.
> Anyone working on this?
>
> thanks,
> Janet
>
> Dr. Janet Abbate
> Professor, Science, Technology and Society
> Virginia Tech
> Co-director, VT National Capital Region STS program
> www.sts.vt.edu/ncr
> www.linkedin.com/groups/STS-Virginia-Tech-4565055
> www.facebook.com/VirginiaTechSTS

> Marc Weber <http://www.computerhistory.org/staff/Marc,Weber/>  |
> marc at webhistory.org  |   +1 415 282 6868
> Internet History Program Curatorial Director, Computer History Museum
>
> 1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043
> computerhistory.org/nethistory
> Co-founder, Web History Center and Project, webhistory.org

Matthew Kirschenbaum
Professor of English
Director, Graduate Certificate in Digital Studies
University of Maryland
mkirschenbaum.net