[SIGCIS-Members] HP Archives Destroyed in Recent California Fires

Chuck House housec1839 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:44:01 PDT 2017

I stand corrected, thanks

From: Members <members-bounces at lists.sigcis.org> on behalf of Len Shustek <len at shustek.com>
Date: Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:33 PM
To: SIGCIS Listserver <members at sigcis.org>
Subject: Re: [SIGCIS-Members] HP Archives Destroyed in Recent California Fires

At 02:32 PM 10/30/2017, Brian Berg wrote:

Chuck House responded to me re: this sad news with:
5. Ironic, that the Computer History Museum here in town, never tried to get this archive

That's not true. We had a good relationship over the years with the two main HP archivists, and offered many times to get more involved with their archive -- ranging from getting a copy of the catalog, to getting copies of documents, to taking it over. They declined our participation.

We weren't as aggressive as perhaps we could have been because HP was one of the few companies (unlike many others I could name) who seemed to be taking the preservation of their history seriously, and they were putting resources into the effort. Clearly that wasn't enough.

Len
_______________________________________________ This email is relayed from members at sigcis.org, the email discussion list of SHOT SIGCIS. Opinions expressed here are those of the member posting and are not reviewed, edited, or endorsed by SIGCIS. The list archives are at http://lists.sigcis.org/pipermail/members-sigcis.org/ and you can change your subscription options at http://lists.sigcis.org/listinfo.cgi/members-sigcis.org