[SIGCIS-Members] Born in a Van: Happy 40th Birthday to the Internet!

Marc Weber mweber at computerhistory.org
Wed Nov 22 16:42:37 PST 2017

Hi Everyone,

Please enjoy a new @CHM post, “Born in a Van: Happy 40th Birthday to the Internet!” by Marc Weber, curatorial director of our Internet History Program, on our blog<http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/?p=10653> and on Medium<https://medium.com/chmcore/born-in-a-van-happy-40th-birthday-to-the-internet-d81287f172bf>. The post also features an original CHM film<https://youtu.be/H8dn9tTPsAA> production by Jon Plutte and Weber.

·        Over the shortening fall days of 1977, an unmarked silver step van filled with futuristic equipment, engineers, and sometimes fully uniformed generals quietly cruised the streets of the San Francisco Bay Area/Peninsula. Only an oddly shaped antenna gave a hint of its purpose. On November 22, 1977 this van demonstrated/The van was about/getting ready to demonstrate the first full transmission with what would become the internet standard we use today [[, for nearly everything, from dating hailing a ride to rides to medical information.

Read " Born in a Van: Happy 40th Birthday to the Internet " on @CHM<http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/?p=10653> or Medium<https://medium.com/chmcore/born-in-a-van-happy-40th-birthday-to-the-internet-d81287f172bf>. Please enjoy and be sure to share!
All the best,
Jenny<http://technovationchallenge.org/>

Jennifer De La Cruz
Director of Brand & Marketing Communications
Computer History Museum<http://www.computerhistory.org/>

1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
650.810.1034 direct