[SIGCIS-Members] History of gendered terms, e.g., "motherboard"

Mark Priestley m.priestley at gmail.com
Tue May 23 10:51:38 PDT 2017

Hi Caitlin,

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but some CS
pioneers were rather keen to use the master-slave metaphor to talk about
human-computer relations. Eg:

Jack Good reported that: "Turing used to refer jocularly to people who are
forced to do
mechanical operations as slaves."

Bardini quotes Engelbart: "Think ahead to the day when computer technology
might provide for your very own use the full-time services of a completely
attentive, very patient, very fast symbol-manipulating slave who has an IQ
adequate for 95% of your today's mental tasks."

And there's this <http://markpriestley.net/pdfs/Huskey.pdf> unfortunate
Newsweek caption about Harry Huskey.

I think probably links back to earlier tropes about robots: eg in Capek's
RUR, the rebellious robots are precisely slaves. I've got an unpublished
conference paper I wrote a few years back about this which I could dig out
if you're interested.

Cheers,
Mark