[SIGCIS-Members] “Unprogramming” the ENIAC: Lehmer Child’s Play

Paul McJones paul at mcjones.org
Wed May 10 09:08:01 PDT 2017

> On May 10, 2017, at 8:01 AM, Brian Berg <brianberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A new story by John Markoff posted as a blog to the Computer History Museum's website.  I did not find anything about this in the Thomas Haigh, et al. book ENIAC in Action book.  Brian Berg
>
> “Unprogramming” the ENIAC: Lehmer Child’s Play <http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/unprogramming-the-eniac-lehmer-childs-play/>This article gives background on the program that Derick and Emma Lehmer were working on that weekend:

Liesbeth De Mol, Maarten Bullynck. A Week-End Off: The First Extensive Number-Theoretical Computation on the ENIAC. Lecture notes in computer science, springer, 2008, 5028, pp.158-167. <10.1007/978-3-540-69407-6 19>. <hal-01396832>
http://hal.univ-lille3.fr/hal-01396832 <http://hal.univ-lille3.fr/hal-01396832>
Also, in the second photograph, Lehmer is on the left, not the right. (I’ve reported this to Markoff.)

Paul McJones