[SIGCIS-Members] The latest inventor of the computer

McMillan, William W william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu
Sat Mar 25 09:47:07 PDT 2017

Mary Shaw of Carnegie Mellon published an article in 1990 in IEEE Software that is an excellent discussion about the development of engineering from craft, production, science, and commerce.

I think it's relevant to this discussion.  Saying that Turing invented the (apparently misnamed) von Neumann architecture is a bit like saying that James Clerk Maxwell invented the telegraph.

Science usually precedes the formal and systematic application of science.  As craft develops in a parallel thread, commercial interests (or military interests?) and production lead to the joining of all these threads to produce true engineering.

There was a lot of craft and production in the development of computing before they merged with formal theory to form computer science.

Shaw's article: "Prospects for an Engineering Discipline of Software"
http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/52.60586

(An argument can be made that the development of Algol and structured programing is an exception.  I presented a paper on this at 4S in 2007.)

- Bill