[SIGCIS-Members] Funded Ph.D. @ Liverpool for digital archives project with Barclays Bank

Thomas Haigh thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 07:17:34 PDT 2017

[Been requested to forward this announcement of a Ph.D. project with Andrew
Smith at the University of Liverpool. Tom]

AS: Are you interested in doing a PhD that lies at the intersection of
history, management, and computer science? Interested in being embedded in a
huge bank where you will access to first-class  data you can use for your
PhD research?  Do you think that digital humanities can help banks and other
big corporations to achieve their goals? Want to have an academic career in
a hot field? Then this opportunity is for you!

I can’t guarantee that doing a PhD with us will result in a top-flight
academic career. Doing a PhD at the University of Liverpool isn’t the same
as doing a PhD at Stanford or the Harvard Business School. What I can
promise you is that if you exert yourself, I  will work jolly hard to launch
you into a career as a researcher. My colleagues will provide you with
first-rate training  in the skills you need to do well in this field. We
will also help you to get your papers into the top global conferences in
this field and will teach you how to give a presentation that will blow the
socks off of an international audience of academics. Lastly, we will teach
you how to write articles that will get published in good journals via
co-authorship and intensive one-on-one mentorship.

Anyway, here are the details of the project you will be working on if you
accept this funded PhD offer.

Accounts with Interest’ – Networking Historical Customer Records

Closing date for applications: 21 April 2017

The University of Liverpool and Barclays Group Archives (BGA) invite
invitations from suitably qualified candidates for a fully-funded AHRC
Collaborative Doctoral Award PhD studentship investigating the accessibility
of Barclays’ historical customer records.

The successful candidate will enjoy privileged opportunities to work  as a
member of the professional team responsible for Barclays Group Archives
<https://www.archive.barclays.com/>  in Wythenshawe, Greater Manchester
exploring the possibilities for exploiting customer and other nominal
banking data within the information technology environment available to BGA
and investigating how such a local development might be exploited in the
context of the wider banking archive sector.

‘Accounts with Interest’ is conceived as a genuinely interdisciplinary
project within the digital humanities; we are keen to attract
suitably-qualified candidates from any area  who can demonstrate their
potential to carry out a research project designed to enable digital access
to the nominal and related information held in archival records.

You can download further details of the AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Award
Studentship 2017
<https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/history/news/CDA2017_further_deta
ils.pdf>  (pdf).

Alternatively email Dr Margaret Procter <mailto:mprocter at liv.ac.uk> , senior
lecturer, Record and Archive Studies or Dr Andrew Smith
<mailto:adasmith at liv.ac.uk> , senior lecturer in International Business.

Interviews will be held in Liverpool in May 2017.

Tuition fees + £14,553 (RCUK rates) + £1,000 p.a. (towards research costs)
from Barclays.