[SIGCIS-Members] Computing is Work! - Siegen (Germany), July 6-8, 2017

Sebastian Gießmann sebastian.giessmann at uni-siegen.de
Mon Jun 19 05:30:29 PDT 2017

Dear SIGCIS,

Tom Haigh and I have been busy preparing the "Computing is Work!"
conference at Siegen University - and we would be very happy to see some
of you this July!

For those of you who can't: We do have plans to videotape this for
documentation, although we do have the recent controversy about
scholarly talks on film in mind.

Watch out for program updates here:
http://www.socialstudiesof.info/ComputingIsWork/

Kind regards,
Sebastian Giessmann

______________

*
*

*Computing is Work! *

*International Conference*

*July 6–8, 2017*

Universität Siegen, Artur-Woll-Haus
Am Eichenhang 50, 57076 Siegen;
Museum für Gegenwartskunst, Siegen

Conveners: Thomas Haigh / Sebastian Giessmann

* *

We humans spend most of our waking lives working. Work includes
cultural, intellectual, managerial, and emotional labor as well as
physical toil. Despite this, most work by humanities and media scholars
implicitly treats the study of work as marginal or uninteresting. Even
the study of “digital practices” rarely engages with the specifics of
the workplace, despite the importance of distributed micro-practices
like clickworking. Information technology underpins the transformation
of work today, as it has it in the past.

We welcome interdisciplinary contributions that address computing as
work practice, both on a local, situated, infrastructural level.
Speakers will be exploring many kinds of work, from the work of
computerized literary production to the work of scientific research. We
believe that close attention to the social processes of work has the
cross-cutting potential to integrate a variety of historical, social and
ethnographic research approaches, from labor history to the scientific
ethnography to the study of media practices as cooperative
accomplishments, into a revealing whole.

* *

*July 6, Thursday *(Artur-Woll-Haus)**

* *

9:30 OPENING REMARKS/
Computing is Work!
/Thomas Haigh (University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee/Siegen University) and
Sebastian Giessmann (Siegen University)

10:00 ROUND TABLE
/Computer Supported Cooperative Work as Theory and Practice /

Erhard Schüttpelz / Volker Wulf (Siegen): //

Moderator: Dave Randall (Siegen)

11:00 KEYNOTE

Matthew Jones (Columbia University):
/Data Mining is Work: Scaling Algorithms, Overcoming Friction,
Redefining Knowledge/

Moderator: Carolin Gerlitz (Siegen)

14:00 PANEL: /Scientific Workplaces/

– Jens Schröter (Bonn):
/Work will be 3D: Imaginary Workplaces and Volumetric Displays/

– Gerard Alberts (Amsterdam)

/Archiving is Work, Archaeology Even More/

Moderator: Jörg Potthast (Siegen)

16:30 PANEL: /Structuring Labor/

– Roli Varma (University of New Mexico):
/Women at Work: Decoding Femininity in Computing in India/

– Nathan Ensmenger (Indiana University):
/Documentation is Work: Flowcharts as Temporal Boundary Objects/

Moderator: Axel Volmar (Siegen)

______

*July 7, Friday *(Artur-Woll-Haus and Museum für Gegenwartskunst)**

* *

9:00 KEYNOTE

Kjeld Schmidt (Copenhagen Business School):
/Coordination is Work: The Problem of Computerizing Coordinative Practices/

Moderator: Erhard Schüttpelz (Siegen)

11:00 PANEL: /Workflows/

– Kari Kuutti (Oulo):
/”Muddling through” is Work: a Plea for Workflow Oriented Computing/

– Maria Haigh (Milwaukee / Siegen):
/Stopping Fake News is Work/

Moderator: Peter Tolmie (Siegen)

15:00 PANEL: /Institutions and Markets/

– Hallam Stevens (Nanyang Technological University):
/Copycatting is Work: The Diverse Labours of the Shenzhen Electronics
Markets/

– Ben Peters (University of Tulsa):
/Networking is Work: How Computing Institutions Matter even When
Networks Fail/

Moderator: Christian Henrich-Franke (Siegen)

18:00 KEYNOTE

Fred Turner (Stanford University):
/Bohemia is Work: Reimagining Art and Labor Inside Facebook/

Moderator: Ehler Voss (Siegen)

(Venue: Museum für Gegenwartskunst, Unteres Schloss 1, 57072 Siegen).

_______

* *

*July 8, Saturday *(Artur-Woll-Haus)**

* *

9:00 PANEL: /Fun and Games/

– Ksenia Tatarchenko (University of Geneva):
/Leisure is Work: The Making of the Soviet Computing Collectives /

– Laine Nooney (Georgia Tech):
/Games are Work: Notes from the "Little Silicone Valley"/

Moderator: Nadine Taha (Siegen)

11:30 CLOSING REMARKS

Thomas Haigh (University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee/Siegen University) and

Sebastian Giessmann (Siegen University)

12:00 KEYNOTE

Matthew Kirschenbaum (University of Maryland):
/(Even) Literature is Work! Word Processing and Literary Labor/

Moderator: Till Heilmann (Bonn)

Participation is free. Please register in advance
with Anja Höse: Anja.Hoese at sfb1187.uni-siegen.de
<mailto:Anja.Hoese at sfb1187.uni-siegen.de>.

Supported by the Siegen University iSchool, the Collaborative Research
Centre “Media of Cooperation”, Siegen and the Ministry of Innovation,
Science and Research North Rhine-Westphalia.

--
Dr. Sebastian Gießmann
Collaborative Research Centre Media of Cooperation

http://www.sebastiangiessmann.de
Telefon: 0049-(0)271-740-2586
Sprechstunde: n.V.