[SIGCIS-Members] Call for volunteers: community moderators for SIGCIS listserv

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Tue Jun 6 04:44:27 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues and community members,

The SIGCIS executive committee was deeply troubled by the inappropriate messages posted to the list two weeks ago. We are working to make changes so the list is a better space for discussing scholarship on gender, sexuality, race, and other categories of difference. Those changes include:

1. The SIGCIS Exec is currently re-writing the listserv's Acceptable Use Policy to encourage a more positive and generative tone.

2. The SIGCIS Exec is seeking volunteers to serve on a team of community moderators. As we are now an online group with over 550+ members, the SIGCIS Exec feels that moderators can help to ease tensions, negotiate conflict, and, if necessary, address violations of the revised Acceptable Use Policy. The exact duties of this team, along with the responsibilities of individual moderators, would be established with input from the volunteers themselves. If you are interested in volunteering for this role, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Previous experience in online moderation or community management would be especially valuable, but it is not required. We have a LOT of knowledge within the SIGCIS members about online communities and their maintenance, and we’re hoping to use some of that knowledge to the benefit of the SIGCIS community.

Many thanks,

Andy Russell
SIGCIS Chair

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.