[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: Call for Papers: Stanford Conference on Non-Latin Type Design and Human-Computer Interaction
mhicks1 at iit.edu
Fri Jun 30 11:00:34 PDT 2017
Please see below for a fascinating CFP from Tom Mullaney at Stanford
Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL USA
mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net | @histoftech
Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost Its Edge in Computing (MIT Press, 2017)
Begin forwarded message:
From: "Thomas S. Mullaney" <tsm1978 at stanford.edu>
Date: June 30, 2017 at 1:53:21 PM EDT
To: Tom Mullaney <tsmullaney at stanford.edu>
Subject: Call for Papers: Stanford Conference on Non-Latin Type Design and Human-Computer Interaction
Type Design and Human-Computer Interaction Beyond the Western World
December 1-2, 2017
In connection with the Fall 2017 Stanford University Libraries exhibition, “Facing the World: Non-Latin Type Design, 1450 to Now,” we will be holding an international conference bringing together scholars, designers, engineers, and technologists to explore Non-Latin type design, book design, interface design, and human-computer interaction beyond the Latin alphabetic world.
We are now seeking paper proposals. PLEASE CIRCULATE TO ANY/ALL POTENTIALLY INTERESTED PARTIES.
DATES & LOCATION
Face/Interface will take place December 1-2, 2017 on the campus of Stanford University.
Scholars, Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Technologists working in all disciplines and time periods are welcome to apply. We are particularly eager to identify early-career candidates. All ranks are eligible and encouraged to apply, however.
Confirmed Speakers for the Face/Interface conference include:
* Fiona Ross (Associate Professor, University of Reading | Non-Latin Typeface Design Director | Foundational figure in South Asian script typeface design)
* Gerry Leonidas (Associate Professor, University of Reading | Typeface Design Programme Director | World-leading Greek typeface designer)
* Lara Captan (leading contemporary Arabic type designer & researcher + co-founder of Arabic Type Design-Beirut program)
* Liron Lavi Turkenich (leading contemporary Hebrew type designer & researcher + regional director of ATypI)
* Ken Lunde (Senior Computer Scientist, Type Development in Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese scripts at Adobe)
* Ramsey Nasser (NY-based Arabic-language computer science theorist/artist)
* Scott Klemmer (HCI specialist & Associate Professor of Cognitive Science and Computer Science & Engineering at UC San Diego + Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Design Lab, UC Irvine)
APPLICATION & DEADLINE
The deadline for applications is AUGUST 4, 2017. Materials should be submitted via email/attachments to Tom Mullaney (tsmullaney at stanford.edu) with the subject header “FACE/INTERFACE APPLICATION.” (This subject header is REQUIRED.)
Applications should include:
I. Cover letter summarizing applicant’s field of study, research, and/or design practice in connection with the themes of the conference
II. Title, 250-word Abstract of Proposed Conference Paper
III. CV (3-page)
IV. Two references including contact information (please do NOT request or provide letters of recommendation – but references may be contacted as part of application review process)
A limited number of partial travel stipends will be offered to help offset cost of travel to Stanford. This support will not cover the full cost of attendance, and so successful applicants should plan accordingly.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Members