[SIGCIS-Members] Konrad Zuse's 1936 patent - German text?

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Wed Jan 25 10:47:56 PST 2017

A few years ago I turned over most of my Zuse materials to the Babbage Institute. It looks like that patent was not included, sorry to say:

http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/xml/cbi00219.xml

I moved on from research on Zuse after I published my dissertation, but I have noted some recent interest among younger scholars. That led me to search a remote corner of this museum, where I found a box with some material that I did not turn over (not sure why). These include patent # 907948 “Mechanisches Schaltglied” (1936) and patent # 924107 “Aus mechanischen Schaltgliegern aufgebautes Speicherwerk” (1937). I should probably ask the Babbage Institute first if they want them, but I could send them to you and you could forward a copy to CBI.

There is a lot of other material in the box, but unfortunately I don’t have the time to go through it now. I made these copies when the Zuse archive was at the Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik un Datenverarbeitung in Bonn; I assume that the archive was transferred intact to the Deutsches Museum.

As I said above, I recently was drawn into this topic, including Zuse’s use of logic vis a vis Claude Shannon’s master’s thesis. I wrote a paper about the former topic, which was never published. I was convinced at the time (ca. 1979) that Zuse was far ahead of his American contemporaries in applying symbolic logic, as evidenced by his construction of the Z3 and Z4 machines. I may have to revisit this conclusion based on recent research into Shannon’s work.

I also was drawn into a discussion of Zuse’s relationship to the Nazi party, after meeting with some younger scholars in Germany, but I will discuss that off-line.

Paul Ceruzzi
ceruzzip at si.edu<mailto:ceruzzip at si.edu>
202-633-2414