[SIGCIS-Members] Book release of Programmed Inequality

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Tue Jan 24 09:57:48 PST 2017

Hi all,

I wanted to send a note to let you know that my first book
<http://mariehicks.net/> is being released at the end of this week. If you
happen to be in the Chicagoland area, you are more than welcome to come to
the book release party that will be held at Women and Children First
bookstore <http://www.womenandchildrenfirst.com/book/9780262035545> in
Andersonville at 7:30PM this Friday the 27th. There will be a reading, a
signing, and also some snazzy bookmarks and cake because my friends are
good at marketing ;)

If you're not in the Chicago area, but would like to see me talk about the
book and spin a yarn or two about my old sysadmin days, check out the list
of spring talk dates <http://programmedinequality.com/#speaking> on my book
website. I will be in New York, Silicon Valley, Durham NC, and Manchester
UK--and a few more dates will be added as spring progresses.

This book would not have been possible without the community, camaraderie,
and intellectual and moral support of SIGCIS, so I want to thank you all
for the parts you have played in helping bring this project to fruition.

Thanks, and hope to see you out there,

Marie

Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL USA
mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net <http://www.mariehicks.net/> | @histoftech
<http://twitter.com/histoftech>
*Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost
Its Edge in Computing*
www.programmedinequality.com