[SIGCIS-Members] Resources on Ayyadurai saga

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Sun Jan 22 15:25:10 PST 2017

It's not clear from the Sinback oral history just how early email was
available on GEIS, and I haven't come across anything yet that suggests it
was available on DTSS.  But Sinback's account clearly describes GEIS as a
broadly available computer information system and he claims it supported
email.  There is sufficient context in the oral history to infer that email
was definitely a feature by the mid-1970s.

And Sinback casts some aspersions on Tymshare, suggesting that most of
their software was in fact based on GE software.  That's outside my scope
of inquiry for now, but it is an intriguing question.  -- Ian

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> On 1/22/17 3:09 PM, Ian S. King wrote:
> > perhaps as early as the late 1960s.
> >

> mid-60s. DTSS and GE Timesharing, Datanet, all that stuff
> is the period you're thinking of.
>
> Tymshare wouldn't have run on SDS-940s if GE would have been
> willing to sell them hardware.

Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>
Dissertation: "Why the Conversation Mattered: Constructing a Sociotechnical
Narrative Through a Design Lens

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."