[SIGCIS-Members] Ayyadurai: keeping it simple

Thomas Haigh thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 06:35:38 PST 2017

Hello SIGCIS,

need to engage with Ayyadurai's efforts to define email in a very specific
way: yes. A comprehensive rebuttal would. That's why my page
www.sigcis.org/ayyadurai is very long and detailed, which also makes it off
putting to casual readers. I urge anyone with an interest in the case to
read it before commenting further.

My comment was more about a concise and convincing way to explain why this
is not a usual invention priority dispute. I do not recall anyone prior to
Ayyadurai claiming that things like mid-1970s Arpanet electronic mail or
Xerox Laurel were not email. For example, Janet Abbate's book Inventing the
Internet talks without reservation about "email" as the killer application
of the ARPANET in the mid-1970s.

The SIGCIS community does not need to anoint a "first" for email to agree
that something produced in 1978/80/82 cannot possibly be the first email
system. Here's an analogy: not everyone believes that the Wright Brothers
were the first to fly when they took to the air in 1903. There are other
contenders, other definitions, etc. Some people favor Whitehead in 1901. But
if someone tells you he invented the airplane in 1918 you don't need to ask
about the details of his system. A lot of well documented flying had
happened by then. Just show a dated photograph of the Red Baron. And if the
would-be inventor of the airplane justifies his claim with a new 60 point
definition of airplane you are not obliged to take that definition
seriously.