[SIGCIS-Members] The new thing: Ayyadurai claims to be suing Techdirt

Thomas Haigh thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 22:27:45 PST 2017

Hello SIGCIS,

It's disturbing news, but there are circa 500 people on the list now so we
should probably wait for some new information or analysis to surface before
doing any more mass venting. Don't want to spam people's email.

"adjudicators" here and no jury. Nobody ruled on the merits of his case. It
never got to a courtroom, or as far as I can see made any real progress
towards trial. Read Masnick's posts on the settlement:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20161102/10054035947/ridiculous-nick-dento
n-settles-remaining-charles-harder-lawsuits-agrees-to-delete-perfectly-true-
stories.shtml
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20161103/11502935958/heres-truth-shiva-ayy
adurai-didnt-invent-email.shtml
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20161104/17341635970/actual-creators-email
-not-all-happy-fake-creator-email-got-paid-his-bogus-claim.shtml

Also this Gizmodo post on the settlement, which quotes me:
http://gizmodo.com/internet-pioneers-slam-750-000-settlement-for-the-man-178
8503950.

According to these, and many other reports, Ayyadurai's case was caught up
with the much bigger Hogan lawsuit. An initial judgement for Hogan in that
case had led to the sale of Gawker, but its founder Nick Denton couldn't
collect on the proceeds without a settlement. I recall reading a report
suggesting that everything had to be wrapped up before the end of the year
to avoid tax problems, creating an incentive to tie up the loose ends
rapidly. Anyway there's been a huge amount written on the Gawker settlement.
Not just by tech bloggers -- even the New York Times was covering it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/03/business/media/gawker-hulk-hogan-settlemen
t.html?_r=0

The other thing to remember is that it's routine to settle lawsuits when
going to trial would cost more than is being demanded to make the case go
away. Patent trolls with weak cases exploit this all the time. In this case
Ayyadurai was asking for damages of IIRC $35 million and settled for $0.75
million. That's just over 2 cents on the dollar.