[SIGCIS-Members] Siegen workshop "Exploring the Early Digital" Jan 12-14

Thomas Haigh thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 11:40:48 PST 2017

Dear SIGCIS,

Those of you in easy reach of NW Germany might be interested in an event
we're holding at Siegen University in just under two weeks (Jan 12-14).
There's no registration charge. If you need overnight accommodation the
Ramada is the best bet.

The workshop is primarily intended to lay the framework for a book, working
title "Exploring the Early Digital" that will probably be a mix of new
chapters (accessible and argument-driven) with reprints/excerpts of some
previously published work. We're trying to broaden from "computers" to "the
digital" and so engage with some aspects of media studies, engineering
practice, etc. Most of the time will be spent discussing early drafts, but
we do have public talks by Paul Ceruzzi and William Aspray. I'm also excited
by a panel discussion on structuring overview narratives of computing/the
digital with Aspray, Ceruzzi, and Martin Cambell-Kelly. Other participants
from beyond Siegen include Gerard Alberts, Maarten Bullynck, Edgar Daylight,
Liesbeth De Mol, Ron Kline (via Skype), Pierre Mounier Kuhn, David Link,
David Nofre, Mark Priestley, Doron Swade, and Ksenia Tatarchenko.

The draft program, which I'll be updating as more details are filled in, is
at www.socialstudiesof.info/earlydigital
<http://www.socialstudiesof.info/earlydigital> . Or, for those who like
shorter URLs, socstud.info/earlydigital.