[SIGCIS-Members] Information culture in 2017: recommendations for student readings/other lit?

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 2 04:21:29 PST 2017

Dear SIGCIS

Happy New Year, and best wishes for more than usually unsettled times.

I'm writing with a request for suggested sources which arises from my
annual attempt to update my introductory survey course for undergrads,
The Information Age – a task that always leaves me hugely envious of the
local early-modern and medieval historians, who can usually get by with
rolling the course content forward from one year to the next without any
seismic geopolitical events leaving their priorities and interpretations
wildly outdated. The Spring 2016 version, for what it's worth, is in the
Syllabus Repository at
http://www.sigcis.org/files/2015-2016%20HSTM%2020282%20Information%20Age%20course%20booklet_0.pdf

I'm looking both for straightforward, accessible material that can be
used directly by a mixed group of STEM (mostly computer science) and
humanities (mostly history) students, a few of whom will have little
background in any branch of the field, and for more complex literature I
could digest for lecture content.

Like others – see in particular Lee Vinsel's howl of frustration at
https://twitter.com/STS_News/status/807580040116445184 – I'm wondering
how best to use the recent rise of public concern about online
information and the social cultures formed around it, given that the
analytical discourse over the past 25 years has been strongly shaped by
optimistic, sometimes utopian techno-determinist accounts, and that the
more nuanced and seemingly level-headed accounts that have so far
opposed this trend are now starting to look overly optimistic
themselves, giving too little agency to the nature of the platforms that
dominate info consumption.

On a related note, I'm also keen to give more specific coverage to the
workings and influence of digital formalisations and automated
processing in everyday information culture, particularly bearing in mind
the mixture of disciplinary backgrounds of these students. One of my
concerns is obviously to wean CS students away from the common
IT-solutionist mindset that presents technical answers to social
problems and expects them to work in defiance of every single lesson of
recorded history – but I see a corresponding problem on the humanities
side, in that many students don't have a working familiarity with
algorithmic processing, and will routinely size up blind and bulk
processes in terms of intentions and individualisations that may not be
there. I usually open these areas up for group discussion with questions
like the classic "What do you do if your identity doesn't match any of
the boxes on the form?", or why supermarkets (at least in the UK)
occasionally display posters for special offers that are obviously
poorer value than the regular price.

I notice that Tarleton Gillespie and Nick Seaver have put together a
very detailed reading list of "Critical algorithm studies":

https://socialmediacollective.org/reading-lists/critical-algorithm-studies/

and also that there's a new collection titled /Algorithmic Cultures/
edited by Robert Seyfert and Jonathan Roberge, so there are plenty of
promising leads in the academic literature – but I'm also looking for
good journalism. All recommendations gratefully received!

Best
James