[SIGCIS-Members] Email "inventor" claimant to run for U.S. Senate -- alternative facts about technology and democracy collide

Sarah T. Roberts sarah.roberts at ucla.edu
Sat Feb 25 11:19:12 PST 2017

Andrew made this comment:

"This gets at an interesting aspect of the computer industry -- when is a figure a "tech" person, and when just a "business" person? The way John Sculley from Pepsi is slotted into the Steve Jobs/Apple narrative suggests there is a difference. A figure like Ross Perot seemed to straddle the difference when he sold himself as a businessman and a technologist when running for president. "

It is key. I would further add to the mix the fact that the technologist billionaire class is highly influential on US and world policy to a profound degree, while not ever having been elected by the people - I suppose unless you happen to be a shareholder.

I look forward to talking about these issues with all of you at the meeting. I would, again, be interested in gathering with others to have a conversation on the specifics of this new candidacy (Tom has provided some...disturbing information, if true as reported), and on Silicon Valley political power, in general. If you're interested, please let me know.

--Sarah

---

S a r a h  T.  R o b e r t s,  P h. D.

Assistant Professor
University of California, Los Angeles
Department of Information Studies
Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
https://is.gseis.ucla.edu/

Blogging periodically at
http://illusionofvolition.com