[SIGCIS-Members] History of computer advertising

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 10:35:06 PDT 2017

Hi Enrico

To the various excellent suggestions so far I would add

- C Dianne Martin, "The myth of the awesome thinking machine",
/Communications of the ACM/ 36 (1993), 120-133.

Its case study is earlier than your period and deals with journalistic
interpretation rather than adverts as such, but, like the Aspray and
Beaver article, it has broader lessons on how to analyse promotional
claims.

I'd also second Marcin's suggestion of Paul Atkinson – whose orientation
is design history, but in a way that deals strongly with promotion and
the creation of visuals – and I would recommend, in addition to the
Reaktion Objekt book, three of his papers:

- "The curious case of the Kitchen Computer: products and non-products
in design history", /Journal of Design History/ 23 (2010), 163-179.

- "Man in a briefcase: the social construction of the laptop computer
and the emergence of a type form", /Journal of Design History /18
(2005), 191-205.

- "The (in)difference engine: explaining the disappearance of diversity
in the design of the personal computer", /Journal of Design History /13
(2000), 59-72.

I also thought the work of Neil Selwyn on computer promotion in
education might be indirectly useful – but a quick search revealed one
paper I hadn't previously seen that looks like it's of very direct
relevance:

- Lyn Dawes and Neil Selwyn, "Teaching with the dream machines: the
representation of teachers and computers in information technology
advertising", /Journal of Information Technology for Teacher Education/
8 (2006), 289-304.

Hope this helps!
James