[SIGCIS-Members] Counterfactual history: Did the Mac cost Apple a shot at market leadership?

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 26 21:39:24 PDT 2017

On Wed, 4/26/17, Hansen Hsu <hansnhsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the Lisa is really the wrong machine to imagine this
> counterfactual.

I tend to agree.  It's always been an interesting question to me
what would have happened had Raskin's original Mac vision
had Jobs' support and marketing behind it.  I tend to think it
would have been a really interesting machine.  Of course, we
know it did see the light of day in a way in the form of the
Canon Cat.  But what would a Jobs supported version have
looked like, and would it have been a good transition to a
later, higher performance machine?

Though, I should point out that my interest isn't so much about
market share and sales volume.  I'm thinking more from the
perspective of an engineer and programmer who would have
been interested in playing with and programming such a machine.

BLS