[SIGCIS-Members] Counterfactual history: Did the Mac cost Apple a shot at market leadership?

Kimon Keramidas kimon.keramidas at nyu.edu
Wed Apr 26 17:27:15 PDT 2017

Tom,

Glad you’re interested in this as it is stuff I am interested in working on.

I think so much of this is a question of perspective and how you see the mythology and history of this playing out. It is kind of telling that you use the term Mac fans a bit pejoratively when in a sense that sense of passion and connection to the device is what Jobs was looking for. I think that along with reviving the company one reason Jobs has been looked at more glowingly in the recent past is that his desire to create a culture of computing around easy-to-use computers was more important to him as creating machines that sold well and turned a profit. That’s probably why he was blind to how expensive that $2500 price tag was and couldn’t see how the difficulty of using the early machines damned it to be a niche product. It is true that this almost sank the company financially, but without this approach Apple floundered until 1998 looking for traction in the business market, when that kind of went against the origins of the ][ and the Mac. For that stretch you could argue that Apple wasn’t Apple, and a “Mac Fan” could go as far as saying that without that initial vision it was just a bad clone company that was doomed to sell market shares because it didn’t have access to the OEM-based platform that made Microsoft profitable but not particularly innovative.

So a counter argument (for discussion’s sake) could be that what Jobs was pushing for just wasn’t achievable at that time with the available tech. Is that a dooming strategy or the kind of leadership that you want from a supposedly visionary CEO. That depends on who you are of course. Would Microsoft have come up with equivalent hardware? Probably not, hardware was already not their game at that point. Who does that leave? Commodore? The Amiga was coming and that might have been the next viable option. Radio Shack? Unlikely. Xerox? They did have the Alto a decade earlier and tried with the Star but were even less successful. IBM? Maybe, but they were coming down from the big business model and I wonder what their true innovation into a consumer market might have been if not pushed by Apple. It is an interesting alternate history question, but it’s also important to note that even when Jobs did come back and the new iMac helped revive the company, he was never obsessed with pandering to the market share metrics that often position the clones and then Microsoft as having won the world. Oddly enough by that point he was thinking about selling BMWs rather than Fords (his words, don’t remember the time of the quote).

I do doubt that Lisa would have been the answer. It was a business computer without the feel of a personal experience, and the “feel” of the Macintosh was very important and was part of its branding. The fact that so few Macintoshes sold but there were so many dedicated fans who used them for years is an interesting representation of how Jobs saw the industry being about consumer identity, communities, and passion about interface experience in a way that few others have. He was a far better marketer than an innovator after all and that is really what his legacy should be.

Also, please don’t read me as a Jobs super sympathizer. He is a problematic historical individual and there are so many conflicting histories, myths, and distortions about his role in this that it is hard to get at what really happened. He did however have some powerful visions and opinions that have inevitably shaped this story for better or for worse.

I’ll stop here, I could go on longer as this is at the core of my research, and part of my next research project on the pedagogy of personal computer advertisements and teaching us how to use and want “new” technology. Would love to talk more off of the listerv!

Cheers
Kimon

Kimon Keramidas, Ph.D.
Associate Director and Clinical Assistant Professor
John W. Draper Program in Humanities and Social Thought

New York University
14 University Place
New York, NY 10003

E kimon.keramidas at nyu.edu <mailto:kimon.keramidas at nyu.edu>
P 212-998-3691
T @kimonizer <http://twitter.com/kimonizer>
W http://kimonkeramidas.com <http://kimonkeramidas.com/>

The Interface Experience: Forty Years of Personal Computing
Exhibition <https://www.bgc.bard.edu/gallery/exhibitions/10/the-interface-experience> | Web <http://interface-experience.org/>

The Interface Experience: A User’s Guide
Winner of the 2016 Innovation in Print Design Award from the American Alliance of Museums <http://www.aam-us.org/>
Buy Book <http://store.bgc.bard.edu/the-interface-experience-a-users-guide-by-kimon-keramidas/>