[SIGCIS-Members] Counterfactual history: Did the Mac cost Apple a shot at market leadership?

Brian Berg brianberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 16:01:32 PDT 2017

As IEEE Milestone Coordinator for IEEE Region 6 (the 10 western United
States, roughly), I worked on the submissions for Milestones for the Apple I
<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestone-Proposal:Introduction_of_the_Apple_I_Computer:_1976>,
Apple ][
<http://ethw.org/Milestones:Introduction_of_the_Apple_II_Computer:_1977-1978>
and Macintosh
<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestone-Proposal:Introduction_of_the_Apple_Macintosh_Computer,_1984>.
These have not yet been dedicated, but they have been approved by the IEEE
History Committee and the IEEE Board of Directors.  The Macintosh site is
the only location anywhere that describes the 7 patents that are exercised
by the Mac.  It took a lot of work to track down that info, and I was
working with over 20 members of the Mac design team.

Steve Wozniak was (not surprisingly) a key source of info for the Apple I
and ][.  He provided some very interesting perspective re: the floppy
controller as used with the Apple ][.  This controller was implemented as a
single IC in the Macintosh and therein called the "Integrated Woz Machine
(IWM)" - this is also described in US Patent No. 4,742,448
<http://ieeemilestones.ethw.org/images/6/65/Ref4-US4742448.pdf>.

I am not sure how much this adds to the discussion, but I thought that this
info would be of interest.
_________________________
Brian A. Berg / bberg at StanfordAlumni.org
Berg Software Design
14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F, Saratoga, CA 95070 USA
Voice: 408.741.5010 / Cell: 408.568.2505
Consulting: Flash Memory/USB/Storage/Patents
visit the Storage Cornucopia: www.bswd.com
FMS Technical Chair: www.FlashMemorySummit.com
IEEE Milestone
<http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:List_of_IEEE_Milestones>