[SIGCIS-Members] Institutions actively collecting historical programs/software for long-term preservation

Jessica Meyerson jeswes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 03:50:45 PDT 2017

Greetings Everyone!

Thank you all for your responses so far! This is an exciting thread - Thank
you, David!
To build on Melanie's response regarding discoverability, this is one of
the primary goals of the Software Preservation Network
<https://osf.io/a7uea/>, particularly our Metadata Working Group
<http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/working-groups/metadatastandards/>,
which includes archivists, metadata coordinators, and information studies
researchers embedded in research library settings. We are collaborating
closely with the Software Heritage. <https://www.softwareheritage.org/> whose
efforts have thus far been focused on source code for open source software,
but is not limited to open source moving forward. SPN hosted a forum in
August 2016 and participated on a panel on software sustainability at iPRES
2016 that included representatives from UNESCO's PERSIST program as well.

In August 2016, Henry Lowood,*Curator, History of Science & Technology
Collections **Curator, Film & Media Collections for Stanford University
Libraries*, software preservation trailblazer and SPN advisor, shared an
extensive account of past software preservation efforts as well as
recommendations for cultural heritage practitioners/collecting repositories
<http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2016/08/30/henry-lowood/> that address a
spectrum of research use cases that loosely map on to David Bearman's
original listing of possible user groups (From SPN's lit review: *Limited
research interest in software at the time led Bearman to conclude that the
development of a software archives and the growth of a dedicated “user
community” would be co-determined (Bearman, 1987, p.41). Additionally,
Bearman describes several possible user groups, each with their own
implications for archival and curatorial work: 1) scholarly research on
distribution, legal protections, and the social norms of developer
communities; 2) researchers interested in causal explanations of why
certain applications succeeded or failed; 3) “internalist” historians of
science or intellectual history; and 4) “system designers” who can not
fully understand a system by merely examining its constituent parts
(Bearman, 1987, p.41-46)*.

In his conclusion, Henry looks ahead and says, "*It is unlikely that any
one institution can respond to every one of these use cases. Instead, the
more likely result is a network of participating repositories, each of
which will define priorities and allocate resources according to both their
specific institutional contexts and an informed understanding of the
capabilities of partner institutions." *This observation/conclusion (and
the acknowledgment that we are part of a ~30+ yr effort to address the
software-dependent nature of digital cultural heritage) is the premis on
which the Software Preservation Network was formed, and we invite the
readership/participants on this list to share their experiences, use cases,
suggestions, advice and ideas so that we can continue to move forward
together - building on past and current efforts, and reflecting the
needs/challenges of institutions/organizations charged with providing
long-term access to digital materials, and most importantly their
researchers/users.

Please do feel free to contact us with your thoughts and/or subscribe to
our newsletter to receive updates
<http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/contact/>! We are *always
learning* and we are *always looking for collaborators*!
Sincerest thanks to all those that have enabled and continue to enable the
work that institutions in the Network are currently doing!

Check out the latest post by our Curation-Readiness Working Group
<http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/working-groups/250-2/>, that
explores a spectrum of use cases:
http://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/exploring-curation-ready-software-use-cases/

Friendly Regards,
Jessica Meyerson
Digital Archivist - University of Texas at Austin