[SIGCIS-Members] News about my book, gender and computing

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Tue Apr 11 10:38:53 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I wanted to mention that my book, *Programmed Inequality*, was the *Times
Higher Education Supplement*'s book of the week pick this week. It was
actually reviewed--very sympathetically--by a computer scientist. I found
his perspective really interesting, especially when he talks about his
dilemma re: "booth babes" at trade shows. (I think it shows the
difficulties many of us face when trying to address institutionalized
discrimination.)

If you're interested, the link is:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/review-programmed-inequality-marie-hicks-mit-press
(it may ask you to register--for free--in order to read it.)

At the very bottom--near the end of the interview portion, there is also a
section of shout outs to some other scholars whose work I admire (including
a few SIGCISers). Space prevented me from listing all of the many folks I
would have liked to!

Best,

Marie
Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL USA
mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net <http://www.mariehicks.net> | @histoftech
<http://twitter.com/histoftech>

*Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost
Its Edge in Computing*
www.programmedinequality.com