[SIGCIS-Members] VICE Motherboard Article on "Voice" and Disability in Tech

Meryl Alper m.alper at northeastern.edu
Wed Sep 21 08:03:33 PDT 2016

Hi all,

*Speechless*, a sitcom debuting tonight on ABC in the US, will be the first
TV show to feature a disabled lead character who uses an augmentative and
alternative communication system instead of oral speech to express
themselves.

In advance of the premiere, I've written an op-ed for *VICE Motherboard* on
the show's potential to generate conversation about the complex
intersections of voice, agency, and technology -- particularly in today's
political environment:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/what-abcs-new-tv-series-
speechless-can-tell-us-about-voice

The commentary is based on my book *Giving Voice: Mobile Communication,
Disability, and Inequality* (MIT Press, forthcoming 2017):

https://merylalper.com/giving-voice/

Feel free to pass the article along!  Also happy to hear any and all
feedback.

Best,
Meryl

--