[SIGCIS-Members] History of intellectual property in computing?

Gerardo Con Diaz gerardo.condiaz at yale.edu
Thu Oct 27 20:17:52 PDT 2016

Hello William,

I'm writing a history of software patenting in the United States, so this
message thread has made my day.

You'll find very detailed bibliographical data on IP and software in the
footnotes to the two articles of mine that Nathan mentioned in an earlier
email. A third article called "The Text in the Machine" has an actual
bibliography that may interest you. It's coming out in this month's issue
of Technology and Culture.

*Additional Historical Scholarship*
Martin Campbell Kelly's article, "Not All Bad"
Chris Kelty's essay, "Inventing Copyleft," in the edited volume "Making and
Unmaking Intellectual Property" (ed. Biagioli et al)
Kevin Driscoll's article, "Professional Work for Nothing," on the Gates
open letter that Eric mentioned

*Legal scholarship*
Pamela Samuelson's essay, "The Strange Trajectory of Software as an
Intellectual property," in the edited volume "Making and Unmaking
Intellectual Property) (ed. Biagioli et al)
Andrea Bonaccorsi's article, "From Protecting Texts to Protecting Objects
in Biotechnology and Software"
Maureen O'Rourke's article, "The Story of Diamond v. Diehr," in the edited
volume IP Stories (ed. Ginsburg et al)
James Bessen's article, "A Generation of Software Patents"

*Classroom resources*
The Oyez project (oyez.org) has audio recording of arguments delivered at
the Supreme Court. The arguments for Gottschalk v. Benson and Diamond v.
Diehr would be good material for a class discussion.
A database called "The Making of Modern Law" (http://www.gale.com/moml-us-
supreme-court-records-and-briefs/) has briefs for the cases filed at the
Supreme Court.
If your students are interested in seeing what companies today think about
software patents, you can direct them to the SCOTUSBlog's coverage of Alice
v. CLS. (http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/alice-
corporation-pty-ltd-v-cls-bank-international/) They'll find there briefs
filed by companies such as Google, Netflix, and so on.

Best,
Con

--
*Gerardo Con Diaz*
Assistant Professor (Starting late June 2016)