[SIGCIS-Members] History of intellectual property in computing?

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 10:35:59 PDT 2016

Hi Bill:

Might I offer the following, as being of perhaps only marginal relevance but of some interest because of Charles Babbage's involvement, though in fact it it does not concern his computing interests:

Charles Babbage and the Anglo-American Copyright Dispute
Randell, B.
IEEE Annals of the History of Computing Vol. 18, Issue 3, pp 56
IEEE Computer Society, 1996 ISSN 1058-6180

Cheers

Brian Randell

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 10:25 AM, McMillan, William W <william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu> wrote:
>
> Greetings, SIGCIS.
>
> I'm looking for historical sources on the development of intellectual property principles and practices to use in a graduate computer science class.
>
> Of course, there is plenty of information on IP in IT and the history of IP in general, but I would like to find sources that tell a story across the development of computing in particular and relate it to other factors in technology and society.
>
> Also, any syllabus examples or suggestions would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

—

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html