[SIGCIS-Members] keyword: 'domain'

Evan Hepler-Smith ehepler at princeton.edu
Tue Oct 18 10:49:03 PDT 2016

Others will have deeper thoughts on this, but my guess is that its use in
expert systems AI is at least part of the story of how "domain XYZ" caught
on more broadly.

(Generic AI tools) + (a knowledge-base and heuristics consisting of the
"domain knowledge" of "domain scientists" or "domain experts") = (an expert
system).

Googling "Feigenbaum 'domain knowledge'" turns up a paper from the late 70s
<http://ijcai.org/Proceedings/77-2/Papers/092.pdf> in which Ed Feigenbaum
uses the term in this way.

Best,
Evan

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Jon Lindsay <jonrlindsay at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a great question and I am also curious about the answer. I always
> assumed it was an import from logic, e.g., range and domain. I have written
> a bit about the further appropriation from computer science by the DoD in
> defining the "cyber domain" which first appears in 2000 and then takes off.
> As late as 1999 military writers would talk loosely about an "information
> arena" or "commons" something like that, but "domain" takes off later. I
> read this as largely a bureaucratic bid for legitimacy, defining "cyber" as
> coequal with land, sea, air, and space, with the USAF attempting to lay
> claim to three of these (air, space, cyber). Legal discussions of domain
> are much older, usually used to distinguish territorial waters from high
> seas, which is interesting in that the "cyber domain" would in that sense
> be just the opposite of a "cyber commons", but if you are a global hegemon
> perhaps you can pretend to dominate a global commons. I have a suspicion
> that the logical computer science usage of domain thus made it really
> attractive to the military to play off of the meaning "to dominate" not
> just an arena or bounded conceptual area.
> Jon
>

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM, David Ribes <dribes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone offer some leads on the use of the term 'domain' within
>> computing and information circles? Such as 'domain scientist' or 'domain
>> knowledge'...
>>
>> I've used the term for years as an in vivo category drawn from my
>> fieldwork, but have little sense of its historical genealogy. It was
>> already well in place by 2003 when I started fieldwork in the worlds of
>> cyberinfrastructure, and I have some suspicion it may have come from
>> knowledge management/business ...
>>
>> --
>> David Ribes
>> Associate Professor
>> Department of Human Centered Design and Engineering (HCDE)
>> University of Washington
>> http://davidribes.com

Evan Hepler-Smith
Environmental Fellow
Harvard University Center for the Environment
339.203.1096
evanheplersmith.com