[SIGCIS-Members] keyword: 'domain'

David Ribes dribes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:19:15 PDT 2016

Can anyone offer some leads on the use of the term 'domain' within
computing and information circles? Such as 'domain scientist' or 'domain
knowledge'...

I've used the term for years as an in vivo category drawn from my
fieldwork, but have little sense of its historical genealogy. It was
already well in place by 2003 when I started fieldwork in the worlds of
cyberinfrastructure, and I have some suspicion it may have come from
knowledge management/business ...

--
David Ribes
Associate Professor