[SIGCIS-Members] New Soviet Internet book

Ben Peters bjpeters at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 09:21:06 PDT 2016

SIGCIS Friends,

I don't pretend to know how to plug my own book among so many folks I
admire in the field, so I'll do it once and get out of the way. Here goes:

MIT Press released *How Not to Network a Nation: The Uneasy History of the
Soviet Internet *this summer. Since then it's been reviewed widely and
warmly in five languages and in popular outlets from *Nature* to *Gizmodo*,
with excerpts in *First Monday* (review links here)
<https://petersbenjamin.wordpress.com/publications/>.

Aeon.co is featuring a popular version of the story today. (A great editing
experience, by the way, if you don't already know them: Sam Dresser is a
wizard.) Check out my first feature with Aeon here:

Aeon: "How the Soviets invented the internet and why it didn't work
<https://aeon.co/essays/how-the-soviets-invented-the-internet-and-why-it-didn-t-work>
"

The book itself can be found here: Soviet Internet
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Network-Nation-Information/dp/0262034182/>
(*First
Monday *excerpts
<http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/6689/5482>).

Feel free to share (I'm at @bjpeters) and holler back if I can say more.

It's my first contribution to the emerging field of comparative network
history, and it owes much to Slava Gerovitch, Eden Medina, and many, many
others on this list, so the pleasure is genuinely mine.

Thanks, and please enjoy!

Ben

--
Benjamin Peters

Amazon author page <http://amzn.to/1OJd897>
New books on the Soviet Internet
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Network-Nation-Information/dp/0262034182/>
(*First
Monday *excerpts
<http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/6689/5482>) and Digital
Keywords <http://amzn.to/1ToHD4v> (*Culture Digitally *excerpts
<http://culturedigitally.org/2016/07/keywords-digital-analog/>)
Assistant Professor, Communication, the University of Tulsa
Affiliated Faculty, the Information Society Project, Yale Law School
Working Notes <http://petersbenjamin.wordpress.com>
Tweet @bjpeters