[SIGCIS-Members] Media query about 1960s computer dating systems

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Wed Oct 5 13:39:32 PDT 2016

FWIW and not at all historical, Dr. Karen Fisher at the University of
Washington has been studying social media dating, in a contemporary
context.  It might be an interesting compare/contrast data point.  -- Ian

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Marie Hicks <mhicks1 at iit.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Janet--I actually have an article on early computer dating coming
> out next month in Ada (http://adanewmedia.org/). I'll drop them a line.
>
> Best,
>
> Marie
>
> ______________________
> Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
> Asst. Professor, History of Technology
> Illinois Institute of Technology
> Chicago, IL USA
> mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net <http://www.mariehicks.net> | @histoftech
> <http://twitter.com/histoftech>
>

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Janet Abbate <abbate at vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> See below. If anyone has information to share, please contact her
>> directly.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Janet
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:

>> I'm working on a story about Operation Match, one of the first computer
>> based dating services. In researching this story and speaking with the
>> founders of the organization, I've found that nobody has been able to
>> explain how the computers actually worked in the matching process. This is
>> why I'm writing. I'm hoping you might have time for a quick phone call
>> where you could help break down how computer models in the 1960's worked,
>> particularly how a system similar to TACT would run. Any assistance or
>> direction would be greatly apprcaited. Please let me know if you think you
>> can help.

>> producers to make documentary podcasts on a variety of subjects. Our shows
>> are like radio shows, but are distributed on the Internet, and they are
>> downloaded 5 million times a month by people all over the world. I'm a
>> producer with a show called Afterwards, which revisits old news stories
>> from the past 50 years and through interviews with the people involved
>> tells our listeners about what's happened since then. The show will launch
>> this fall, and will be distributed nationally.

>> Emanuele at gmiletmedia.com
>>

>> Dr. Janet Abbate
>> Associate Professor, Science & Technology in Society
>> Co-director, National Capital Region STS program
>> Virginia Tech
>> www.sts.vt.edu/ncr
>> www.linkedin.com/groups/STS-Virginia-Tech-4565055
>> www.facebook.com/VirginiaTechSTS

Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>
Dissertation: "Why the Conversation Mattered: Constructing a Sociotechnical
Narrative Through a Design Lens

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."