[SIGCIS-Members] Media query about 1960s computer dating systems

Janet Abbate abbate at vt.edu
Wed Oct 5 11:46:16 PDT 2016

See below. If anyone has information to share, please contact her directly.

thanks,
Janet

Begin forwarded message:

>> From: Emanuele Berry <emanuele at gimletmedia.com>
>> Date: September 26, 2016 11:46:55 AM EDT
>> To: abbate at vt.edu
>> Subject: Background interview for Gimlet Media
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> My name is Emanuele Berry. I'm a producer/reporter with Gimlet media. I'm working on a story about Operation Match, one of the first computer based dating services. In researching this story and speaking with the founders of the organization, I've found that nobody has been able to explain how the computers actually worked in the matching process. This is why I'm writing. I'm hoping you might have time for a quick phone call where you could help break down how computer models in the 1960's worked, particularly how a system similar to TACT would run. Any assistance or direction would be greatly apprcaited. Please let me know if you think you can help.
>>
>> Gimlet Media is a company founded last year by a group of former NPR producers to make documentary podcasts on a variety of subjects. Our shows are like radio shows, but are distributed on the Internet, and they are downloaded 5 million times a month by people all over the world. I'm a producer with a show called Afterwards, which revisits old news stories from the past 50 years and through interviews with the people involved tells our listeners about what's happened since then. The show will launch this fall, and will be distributed nationally.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Emanuele Berry | Gimlet Media | Producer | 517-899-5002 | Emanuele at gmiletmedia.com

Dr. Janet Abbate
Associate Professor, Science & Technology in Society
Co-director, National Capital Region STS program
Virginia Tech
www.sts.vt.edu/ncr
www.linkedin.com/groups/STS-Virginia-Tech-4565055
www.facebook.com/VirginiaTechSTS